Thursday, 20 August 2015

Book Review: Grumpy Old Menopause - Carol E Wyer

SynopsisGrumpy Old Menopause: To be administered in one large dose for maximum effect.

Have you started to write post-it notes with your kids' names on them? Do you need to change your underwear after every sneeze? Guess it's time to read this book then. It'll help you get through "that" time in your life with a spring in your step and a smile on your face. With numerous suggestions, sensible advice and amusing anecdotes, Grumpy Old Menopause will help you sail through that tricky part of a woman's life with ease and humour. It should prevent you from turning into Mrs Crabby or worse still, a demonic monster.  (Taken from the book and Goodreads)

Before I start the review itself.  Yes, I am back!  But, don't hold your breath, this is brief, a one off appearance for now.  I was gifted this book by the author at Christmas, a very kind thank you gift and I am very guilty at having only just got around to reading this wonderful guide to how to get through the menopause.  I really wish I had read it sooner. 

Review - You know this book was gifted but that does not alter my opinion.  As a woman of a certain age I identified with pretty much most of the topics mentioned.  We are all different and we all pass through this phase at varying degrees.  I think I have been quite lucky really.  Night sweats?  Not so much. Flush/flashes - yes, but not all the time.  Moods - definitely, but, my long suffering family will vouch for me here - I have come through the other side and I am 'normal' (whatever that is) again.

I digress so back to the book.  There is a lot of humour in there, a great aid at this time of life.  The best jokes are in the chapter headed C, after that they are dare I say, cringe-worthy but will raise a smile and a 'titter'.  Each chapter is headed with a letter and runs from A-Z skipping the odd letter or two.  Letter A focuses on emotions and is spot on as far as I was concerned.  This chapter also mentions alternative medicines and therapies which are certainly worth looking into, even my GP suggested I read up on those.  Sage tea is my fall back but it isn't to everyone's taste.  Health issues are mentioned under letter B such as breast pain, brittle bones. C mentions concentration or should I say lack of it.  Now you get my gist, I am not going to spoil things by listing everything in Carol's book but you have an idea of where this is going.  However, it isn't just about physical or psychological issues, Carol suggests some unusual and dare I say, more sensible hobbies for the middle aged menopausal woman.  Now the pilates, yoga, blogging, photography suggestions suit me but for the more adventurous - skydiving, breeding alpacas and bareback riding may suit.

I highly recommend this book for women entering menopause or peri-menopause.  My symptoms particularly anxiety and mood swings started in that earlier stage.  This is also a stage of life where you may be in a demanding role at work, a sandwich (looking after children and ageing parents), amongst other worries.  No wonder this phase takes its toll.   Great advice written with great humour.  Thank you Carol!  
4*

Blog Archive