Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you have encountered or spotlight words you love.  This weekly meme is hosted by BermudaOnion's Weblog.  If you would like to join then please hop over (see link above) and add your URL to the Linky.

It's been awhile so I have some catching up to do.  I have been reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte again and enjoying it even more than first time round when I was a teen.  I found it helpful to keep a dictionary nearby, here are some words I came across.

inanition - noun. emptiness, especially from lack of nourishment.
" I was now sick from inanition, having taken so little the day before."

irids - noun.1. iris of the eye.  2. any plant belonging to the iris family.
 "[...] brown eye, with a benignant light in their irids, [...]"
benignant - adj. kindly especially to inferiors, beneficial.

animadversions - noun. pass hostile criticism or censure
"[...] together in the manner which each girl acquitted herself, and the animadversions or commendations of Miss Scatcherd on the performance." 

How was you Wednesday in words? 

Blog Archive