Monday, 27 October 2014

Book Review: Forgotten - Cat Patrick

Synopsis - Here's the thing about me: I can see the future in flashes, like memories.  But my past is a blank.

I remember what I'll wear tomorrow, and an argument that won't happen until this afternoon.  But I don't know what I ate for dinner last night.  I get by with the help of notes, my mom and my best friend Jamie, and the system works...

Until now.  Everything's falling apart, Jamie's going off the rails.  My mom is lying to me.  And I can't see the boy I adore in my future.

But today, I love him.  and I never want to forget how much...

Review - I won this book from a competition on JeanzBookReadNReview a good while ago and I am ashamed to say that this book alongside others, got pushed to the back of the pile that is mount TBR.  However, it has already been read by the teen, so it hasn't exactly gathered dust.

How would you cope if you couldn't remember what happened yesterday, or the week, month or year before?  We're not talking alzheimers here.  When London Lane falls asleep at night her memory resets at 4.33 am precisely.  She relies on notes to get her through the day at school which is not easy.  Her good friend Jamie, her mom and the boy who befriends her on his first day at her school are there to help.   What London does 'remember' or 'see' is the future.  This novel rolls along sweetly and we gradually discover why London's brain is wired differently.

I think this book is popular with YA readers because it addresses so many issues that this age group face.  Relationships, trust, betrayal, love, friendships, bullying and just getting through school itself. I liked the relationship between London and her mom who is naturally protective of her fragile daughter.  We find out that her mom has kept some truths from her and we can ask ourselves as parents, should we hold back on information?  Of course, the answer to that is depending on what that information is and the potential after effects, if any.  Luke is a great boyfriend even if a little too good to be true, but he loves London and has loved her for a long time.  It's a nice story and an easy read.  3*

ISBN 978-1-4052-5361-1
Egremont Press

Blog Archive