Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you have encountered or spotlight words you love.  This weekly meme is hosted by BermudaOnion's Weblog.  If you would like to join then please hop over (see link above) and add your URL to the Linky.

It is almost a month since I made this post and I was away for two weeks in France.  But here I am, ready to post with some new words I have found over a period of time that I would like to share.  I have jotted them down and collected them in my little book from various sources.

parse - vb. To describe grammatically, stating its inflexion, relation to the sentence etc; to resolve (a sentence) into its component parts and describe them grammatically.
" Hungry and worn out, he tries to parse the problem."

hyphenate - vb. 1. To hyphen.  2. Write or separate with a hyphen.
noun. a person who is active in more than one sphere or occupation."Let the boy stay, even if he is a hyphenate."

doggerel - noun. Poor or trivial verse.
"When they have sung four or five doggerel verses..."

orrery - noun. A clockwork model of the solar system, or of just the sun, earth, and moon.
"The other tables describing slow arcs about its centre like minor satellites in an orrery..."

Do you have any words you would like to share this week?

Blog Archive