Saturday, 5 July 2014

Book Review: Reaching for the Stars - Janice Horton

SynopsisScottish celebrity chef Finn McDuff is media stalked and disillusioned after winning his third star and losing his third wife. He decides he’s had enough of all the food campaigns, the TV cookery shows, the constant frenzy surrounding his private life and, after giving up all his accolades and closing down his restaurant, he disappears.

With the enfant terrible of the kitchen missing, two rival newspapers, having lost their media meal ticket, compete against each other to whip up further public curiosity in the missing chef. Love him or hate him, everyone is out looking for Chef McDuff. Who will find him first and whose side will you be on...? (Taken from Goodreads)


Review - As you know I have been out of action on the blog front lately due to other commitments therefore this review will be brief.   I received my e-copy after winning a competition - Best Chick Lit’s take over of Loveahappyending Lifestyle Magazine’s twitter feed and Re-tweeting! 

I am presuming that my copy was an advance or pre-publication as there were a lot of typographical errors.  Noting the cover change I am hazarding a guess that these errors have since been amended.  Due to my schedule it took me a lot longer to read this book than usual. 

This is a new idea for me as I haven't come across much chick-lit starring chefs.  I didn't find it particularly funny but I did start to enjoy the book as I got further into it.  As stated in the synopsis above, we have an award winning chef who after achieving his third 'Golden Star' finds out his wife is leaving him. The marital breakdown spurs him into doing some serious thinking.  He disappears much to the annoyance of the two rival reporters whose newspapers are both chasing for a story.  Let's look at the characters, our leading man is Chef McDuff who is a decent person underneath his celebrity chef persona. We have two reporters, a fair-minded lass who wants to print the truth and the ambitious hack who wants to make his name and do whatever it takes to get his story in print.  There are also plenty of other characters to help make the story.  If I were to choose a favourite character, it would be Raine the female reporter who is not the naive young lady that others are led to believe.  Did I like the story?  It didn't give me the wow factor but made a pleasant enough read at the end of the day.  If you are looking for a light holiday read and you like Scotland, cooking and chick-lit then this may contain all the right ingredients.  3*


Blog Archive