Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you have encountered or spotlight words you love.  This weekly meme is hosted by BermudaOnion's Weblog.  If you would like to join then please hop over (see link above) and add your URL to the Linky.

Goodness! Wednesday nearly passed me by and I realised I had not made my post.  This week I am reading The Distance Between Us by Maggie O'Farrell, my current book group choice.  I have a couple of words for you from here.

brockenspectre - noun.  a magnified shadow of an observer, typically surrounded by rainbow-like bands, thrown on to a bank of cloud in high mountain areas when the sun is low.

"He is closer again and Stella wonders if he will just carry on getting bigger and bigger until he is looming over her, vast and terrible as a brockenspectre."

sampan - noun.  a small boat used on the rivers and coasts of China, Japan, and neighbouring islands, rowed with a scull (or two sculls) from the stern and usually having a sail of matting and an awning.

"Caroline haggles with the man over the sampan."

Did you have a wordy week?

Blog Archive