Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you have encountered or spotlight words you love.  This weekly meme is hosted by BermudaOnion's Weblog.  If you would like to join then please hop over (see link above) and add your URL to the Linky.

As my followers will already know I don't tend to participate in memes.  This is not for any reason other than time restraints but having found two words in one chapter of the novel I am currently reading which neither the OH or I knew, I thought this week would be a good time to join in with the fun.  It is quite likely that this could be my only post, I doubt I will be continuing this on a weekly basis but I am quite likely to dip in and out as and when time permits.

I found a word last month in The Guardian newspaper which I didn't post.  I may have mentioned it in a meme participant's comment box.  This may be a taboo thing to do because I didn't get a response from the participant.  Perhaps my etiquette is failing due to my lack of meme participation.  However, do feel free to comment here if you wish, I won't mind at all and I will endeavour to respond to your comment.

I will add that word found in January here:
Deracinating - I had not heard this word before but OH had, one up to him :)
The sentence it was used in: "Not even the hypocritical, owner-occupying locusts that swooped in during the aftermath of Thatcher's deracinating, spirit crushing, community-wrecking property liberalisation."
Dictionary definition: to uproot, deracinate Verb

I am currently reading Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford, he is quite the wordsmith and these are the two words I came across:
Irrefragably - They erected themselves intangibly and irrefragably. Adverb
Dictionary definition: Impossible to refute or controvert; indisputable - Adjective

Matutinal - "That's a matutinal job".
Dictionary definition: of or occurring in the morning.- Adjective

Have you found any words that you would like to share today?

Blog Archive