Saturday, 21 December 2013

Book Review: Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe - Fiona Harper

Synopsis - This Christmas, ex-WAG Louise Thornton is starting her new life, away from the paparazzi - and her cheating husband.  Un-manicured, back on carbs and holding herself together courtesy of some seriously good foundation.  Louise will make things perfect for her son, right up until he leaves for his dad's on the big day.  Then she'll be free to curl up and cancel Christmas.

But it turns out escaping the fame goldfish bowl comes with some perks: peace and quiet, no baying press, plus regular battles with her Mr Darcy-esque new neighbour to keep her edge.  And the best thing about a real country Christmas is that there's always lots of mistletoe to be found...

Review - I won this book from a give-away on Shaz's Book Blog.

The first thing I am going to mention about this book was the amount of typos which were actually rather distracting being grammatical or repetitive word errors.  This could have been remedied with better proof reading and editing.  I was quite surprised as this has been published by Harlequin (UK) Ltd, a reputable publishing house, under the Mills and Boon brand.

This is a Christmas story which is a full length book.  I have not read anything else by this author but I do wonder on reading this festive novel if it is not up to Ms Harper's usual standard.  I found the story quite predictable but this is often the case with chicklit.  However, I did like the diary written by Laura the previous owner of Whitehaven, from which snippets are inserted throughout the book.  Not a dual narrative but there were some similarities in the lives of Laura and Louise.  At first, I found it quite difficult to like Louise but her character grew and by the end of the book, you realised she was a good person.  Ben was instantly likeable and of course, the children too.  A light read which I got through quickly, though for possibly the wrong reason.  Not because I couldn't put it down but because I wanted to move on to my next read.  2*

ISBN: 978 0 263 90251 8


Blog Archive