Saturday, 19 October 2013

Book Review: The Racketeer - John Grisham

Synopsis - Given the importance of what they do, and the controversies that surround them, and the violent people they sometimes confront, it is remarkable that in the history of the USA only four active federal judges have been murdered.

Judge Raymond Fawcett just became number five.

His body was found in the small basement of a lakeside cabin he had built himself and frequently used on weekends.  When he did not show up for a trial on Monday morning, his law clerks panicked, called the FBI, and in due course the agents found the crime scene.  There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies - Judge Fawcett and his young secretary.

I did not know Judge Fawcett, but I know who killed him, and why.  I am a lawyer, and I am in prison.

Review - This was a light read after my previous book.  I sailed through this one.  A page turner, difficult to put down for wanting to know what happens next.  An easy read for those days you're not feeling too good and don't have to think too hard.  I enjoyed this book and it served its purpose.  It's quite a convoluted tale and you wonder if anyone would really go to such lengths for justice but it's fiction and anything is possible.  Set in the USA with their intricate justice system, FBI and surveillance it makes a fun read.  How can he dodge that?  Surely that's not possible without getting caught somewhere?  This is what makes a good thriller, the twists, turns and doubling back.  This is my first John Grisham and I have to ask myself why?  I know I shall be back for more.  3*

ISBN 978-1-444-72974-0

Blog Archive