Friday, 6 September 2013

Book Review: The Magician's Nephew - C.S.Lewis

Synopsis - It was one of the wettest and coldest summers for years when Polly and Digory decided to explore the attic of the old, tall house.  And that was how they stumbled on the secret workroom of Digory's Uncle Andrew; who, in a wild experiment tricks them into vanishing right out of this world and into the enchanted land of Narnia.

Review - I don't usually review children's books but I decided as I hadn't read this series as a child myself, I would read them in my later years.  I have read them all to my own children over the years and in spite of OH and I reading them in turns, with three children I have probably read all the books once already.

I was brought up on Enid Blyton, Heidi, Peter Pan and fairytales.  The sort of books that 'nice gels' should read!  Apart from reading The Hobbit in primary school, fantasy was not encouraged at home.  I was determined that my own children should be encouraged to read all sorts of books suitable, of course, for their specific age at the time.  However, I am now making up for lost time and catching up with C.S.Lewis.

The Magician's Nephew is a short book and as it states on the tin, it sets the scene for The Chronicles of Narnia.  Here we get to hear how the magic wardrobe came into being.  We meet Aslan and get to learn about Narnia and their newly appointed King and Queen.  Of course, we meet Queen Jadis who comes back again and again throughout the series.  All good fun!  A must read for youngsters without a shadow of a doubt.  4*

ISBN 0-00-671667-9

Blog Archive