Saturday, 27 July 2013

We Could All Do With A Little Bit of This....Respect


Respect by Aretha Franklin 1967 (Original Version)
Okay, you may be wondering why I am posting a music video on my book blog.  I was listening to this in the shower this morning and it made me think this would be a good theme for the day.  If you follow my page on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest or Google+ you will see I have already posted this video via YouTube. 

re·spect
  
noun
1. a particular, detail, or point (usually preceded by in  ): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or 
ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: 
I have great respect for her judgement.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy;
acknowledgement: respect 
for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honoured: to be held in respect. 
verb (used with object)
9. to hold in esteem or honour: I cannot respect a cheat.
10. to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.
11. to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy.
12. to relate or have reference to. 

In my humble opinion, there is not enough respect towards other people or people's opinions.  We all have a right to our opinions and beliefs, but it seems all to easy to forget that when there is so much thrust upon us through the media, internet or whatever means available.  I just felt (and this includes me) that a little reminder would not hurt.

Okay!  I hear you ask what has got me on my soapbox this morning?  Nothing, I just have a point to make.

As you know for the first half or more of this year I have very much taken a back-seat in the book blogging world for a variety of reasons.

1. Time -  a crucial element.  Book reviewing is time consuming and to be able to give a decent and thorough review or to do the job properly, time is of the essence.  I felt that I was unable to do justice or give author's the best service.  I am hoping in the not too distant future to be able to resume accepting requests for review, renewing my links with authors and making new connections with publishers too.

2. TBR - Yes!  My TBR which has shown no decline even though I am steadily trying to plough through my many books which I do not have 'time' to review.  You will see I give star ratings on the usual book sites e.g. GoodreadsLibraryThingShelfari and BookRabbit.  When I have managed to fit in a long overdue review then it is also available on Amazon as well as here or Smashwords if purchased or sent from that particular site.

3. Links - I am not as 'out there' as many of you in the Book blogosphere.  I have not made contact with publishing houses and I have few connections with authors.  Although, those of you who I am in contact with via Twitter or Facebook I am very keen to maintain these links.  Once again, many of you (reviewers) meet up at launches and have made long lasting friendships via the blogging world.  Me, I have some contacts who I avidly support, bloggers from RISI, Facebook, Twitter or the blogs here.  I also receive support from some of you and I am extremely grateful for that reciprocation and friendship.  Again I am very keen to maintain these links.

4. Burn out - You may laugh!  I had so many reviews left by the end of 2012 that I was pressured (me pressuring me) to get them done.  To give credit where it is due, most authors are generous in understanding that reviewers have queueing systems and are willing to agree to wait a little while longer if necessary.  I don't like to push my luck though!  At the end of the day, my reviews and many out here are given freely and willingly.  It's wanting to give your best and give a book the time deserved.

5. Pick of the mix - In all fairness most of the books I reviewed have been worthy of at least 3* and made good reading, but there have been the odd few that were pretty awful and did not float my boat at all!  I think this can be a bit off putting particularly when time is precious and may have also been an influence in my decision to step back for a bit.

6. Respect - Ha!  It had to come in somewhere here.  I like the folk I have met on here and I think on the whole we are a lovely bunch of like minded people with the same focus and interest.  To read and promote reading by either working in the book industry which I know many of you do via publishing houses, libraries, teaching etc or whatever means we can.  We all want to support new and upcoming authors as well as sing high praise for our own personal favourite well established writers.  There is a fine line to be trod here.  We all try to be original in our work and it is quite possible with so many of us out here that there is room for similarities in posts.  I have seen complaints/rants about plagiarism/copying in the past and I think it is a shame if and when that does actually occur.  Sadly, I do think many good blogger/book reviewers have given up due to some bad feeling out there.  I have like one to two of you been sent an email or a response to a post by a disgruntled author who did not like the fact that I did not like his work!!  What happened to personal opinions and the point of a review?  I wonder if so sensitive, how one would cope if the review had been written up in a major published journal by a paid book reviewer!  I would like to say that I have found everyone I have had contact with here very nice and I have no personal complaint to make. Respect to you all :)

7. Memes - I have to admit I have shied away from some of these blogging memes of late as there does occasionally seem to be some behind the scenes gossiping/griping and folk stop subscribing to a particular host and then set up their own.  So, we all have for example, 'monthly catch ups' either individually or via various meme strings which all say the same thing.  That's okay, if it works for you but I personally haven't found the hosted memes or link ups particularly helpful in promoting my blog.  This is where I have to ask if there is a certain snobbery out here in the blogosphere?  I sincerely hope not!  Is there room for more egos?  Surely, we should leave that to our authors ;)  (Winks, ducks and runs away all in one go) - eek!

Here I shall end my musings for this Saturday before I waffle on and put my size 6 well and truly in it!  Do I have more to say?  No, I don't think so apart from these wise (?) words.  To all you newbies out there, don't be put off!  Be confident in what you write and your opinions.  And if you get a little hassle, try not to let it put you off.  I think this is why I tend to sit on the periphery a little and watch what goes on in the middle.  It really can be quite interesting! 

Happy blogging and most importantly book reviewing!


  


Blog Archive