Sunday, 4 November 2012

Book Review: The Seanachie: Tales of Old Seamus - Gerry McCullough

Synopsis - The first collection of short stories featuring Old Seamus, the Seanachie - a lovable rogue from the fictional Donegal village of Ardnakil - whose amusing yarns and escapades are narrated by his old friend Jamie.

Review - Personally I prefer to read a novel which I can get my teeth into and keep me wanting more.  I find a short story frustrating in that you just get into it and it's over in a flash.  However, if you are busy and want something short and easy to read; that you can dip in and out without worrying about losing the plot; then this collection may be for you.  These stories are told in the manner of passing on family/ local snippets that grandparents, great-grandparents or elderly neighbours like to deliver to young and willing listeners.  Although these are set in Ireland's Donegal area, it made me think about some of the stories my Nan told me when I was young. 2*

Paperback ISBN-13: 978-0952578550

Blog Archive