Sunday, 16 September 2012

Book Review: Temptation - Douglas Kennedy

Synopsis - Like all would-be Hollywood screenwriters, David Armitage wants to be rich and famous.  But for the past eleven years, he's tasted nothing but failure.  Then, out of nowhere, big-time luck comes his way when one of his scripts is bought for television - and before you can say 'overnight success', he's the new toast of Hollywood as the creator of a hit series.  Suddenly a 'player' in Tinsel Town, he finds that he's reinventing himself at great speed - especially when it comes to walking out on his wife and daughter for a young producer who worships only at the altar of ambition.

But David's upward mobility takes a decidedly strange turn when a billionaire film buff named Philip Fleck barges into this life, proposing a very curious collaboration.  David takes the bait, and suddenly finds himself inadvertently entering into a Faustian pact, and an express ride to the lower depths of the Hollywood jungle.

Review - On the cover underneath the author's name is a line from the Daily Mail, 'A finger-scorching page-turner'.  I can't say that I agree with that.  My initial reaction was this is okay, good but not great, when I got half way through I changed my mind.  Okay, I still wouldn't put it in the words of the Daily Mail critic but it is very good.  The scene setting was okay and yes, our main character did perhaps what many Hollywood successes do, succumb and fall into the tempting pitfalls.  In some ways this scenario is a bit clichéd, you see it in TV series, films and books but seriously, and I mean seriously, would anyone of the intelligence of David Armitage really just do this rather odd billionaire's bidding?  And then on, finding that this guy is out of town (as it were), stay and use his facilities 'free of charge' for a week or so?  That I cannot quite get my head around!  I would have so many questions rolling around and I would not trust, but that is me and this book is not about me.

Basically, the book is about temptation as the title boldly states and our character does fall deeply into temptation.  In real life, would he be able to recover himself so easily?  I guess that is possible by playing the 'player' at his own game.  It's a book and it's fiction, so anything can happen and it does not have to be plausible.  After all we read fantasy, don't we?  It is well written, fast paced and we see it all, our main character David Armitage at his best and at his very worst.  4*

ISBN: 978-0-09-946926-1

Blog Archive