Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Guest Blogger of the Month - Vicky's Reviews

Today I would like to welcome Vicky's Reviews from Books, Biscuits and Tea and Sweet Dreams Design to my blog.



Vicky I am honoured to have you over here today.  Vicky's blogs can be found here and here.

Was there a particular childhood book or author that got you interested in reading at a young age?

Well, I wasn't particularly fond of reading when I was a kid - mainly because there were so many books we had to read for classes that I just lost interest.  I like to be able to read in my own pace and books I'm interested in, not books that are forced on me.  So I wasn't much of a book geek until I turned 13 or 14 I think.    As a teen, I was completely and utterly blown away by Meg Cabot's books and the Harry Potter series - I think these are the two that got me interested in reading for the first time.

Your particular favourite reads are crime and women's fiction.  What other genres capture your interest?

I've mostly read these two all my life but I do enjoy YA, contemporary and literary fiction as well.  In terms of YA fiction, dystopian books are my newest favourites.  To be frank, even if I don't really like a particular genre but I find a book which has an interesting storyline and makes me curious, I will probably pick it up.

Your favourite author is Agatha Christie.  You also mention Marian Keyes, Sophie Kinsella, Jane Austen and Sue Townsend.  It's interesting to see Austen listed amongst chick lit favourites.  Of course, she is the classic chick lit author of her day?  Is there anyone else you could add to the list?  Crime authors?

She is, indeed.  I've been a huge Christie fan for over 5 or 6 years now and well, Marian and her story about what she's been through helped me get through difficult times (and she's a genuinely nice person as well!) so the two of them will always hold a special place in my heart.  I actually really like classics as well - Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice are really good, for example.  Anyone else?  Well, three of my newest favourites are Susanne Winnacker, Gordon Reece and Veronica Roth.  I also like Rosamund  Pilcher's work and Sue Townsend's witty style. 

Besides running Books, Biscuits and Tea and designing at Sweet Dreams Design, you are a blog tour assistant for Novel Publicity.  How do you fit all this in with studying British literature and culture at the University of Debrecen?

It's tough, especially now that I have to prepare for my upcoming exams as well.  I don't know.  I've always been multitasking but sometimes it gets too much, even for me, (don't get me wrong, I still love doing it!!).  When I'm really busy at University, I usually schedule a few posts for the upcoming week and take some time off from blogging (or even from reading).

I love your blog title Books, Biscuits and Tea.  It sums up an afternoon's reading particularly as the British are famed for being a tea drinking nation.  I personally cannot deny this!  My previous guest blogger is a 'Darjeeling' Tea lover.  What's your favourite cuppa?  And whilst we're on food and drink, what biscuit would you recommend to go with your cuppa?

Oh I love Darjeeling too!  I like lots of different flavours and types of tea and I have a sort of routine as well.  I usually drink black tea in the morning (I'm not a coffee person, you see, but I still need something to wake me up) and white tea or fruit tea - infusion in the afternoon.  I absolutely LOVE Whittard of Chelsea products.  They have this flavoured black tea called 'English Rose' which is just amazing and their flavoured white tea range is also to die for.

I read that you want to work in publishing and live in the UK after graduating from University.  You like London.  Is this where you will head to live and work?  Have you sent off any CV's or applications to publishing houses yet?

Not yet.  Long story cut short, I still have a year left until I finish Uni so there's no point in applying now since I'll have to wait another year or two anyway.  Unfortunately!  Although I'm thinking of applying for work experience next year - that'd be a great opportunity!

You were born and raised in Hungary.  You study at the University of Debrecen, the second largest city after Budapest.  Is this your home town?  Can you tell the readers something about the city? 

Yes it is.  I've lived here all my life and well... I like it.  It's much, much better than Budapest, if you ask me.  It's relatively smaller (it only has about 200,000 residents, as far as I know) but there are more green areas and it's less polluted and crowded).  I live right next to the main square (the one you see in the picture) which is also great since everything's nearby.   



The city is basically seen as the cultural and educational centre of the region and our university is considered to be one of the best on a national level.




You mention you like black cats.  Is this because they are deemed to be 'lucky', associated with witchcraft or just your favourite type of cat?  Do you have a black cat or any other pets?

Yes, I do have a black cat!  I don't think they bring luck or even the opposite - I just like cats in general.  And black cats especially.  I don't know why, though.  But it has nothing to do with witchcraft or superstition!  :) Oh and yes!  We have - or to be accurate, my mum has - a dog (a bichon havanese) as well.    I used to have guinea pigs when I was younger, they were so adorable!

Besides reading and reviewing.  I read that you like art (traditional and digital), photography, travel, stand up comedy and watching films curled up in bed with a cuppa and a biscuit.  Who is your favourite comedian?

Greg Davies!  He's just hilarious.  He's on tour at the moment so I'm really hoping that I'll be able to go and see him live at the London gig in November - we'll see.  I also like Michael McIntyre and some of our local stand up comedians as well.

Lastly, for fun - your favourite film and film genre?

Oh, that's a tough one!  Again, I love mysteries but I don't usually enjoy these films as much as I enjoy books, to be honest.  I love comedies and dramas, though.  Or anything that involves Alan Rickman, Adam Sandler or Jen Aniston.  From dramas, I'd say 'Snow Cake' has been my favourite so far and from comedies..oh God.. either Duplex or Big Daddy.

Thank you for sparing your time and sharing with the readers.  Good luck with your studies :)

And thank you so much for having me! :)         

Blog Archive