Saturday, 14 January 2012

Book Review: The Time of My Life - Cecelia Ahern

Synopsis - Lying on Lucy Silchester's carpet one day when she returns from work is a gold envelope.  Inside is an invitation - to a meeting with Life.  Her life.

It sounds peculiar, but Lucy's read about this in a magazine.  Anyway, she can't make the date: she's too busy despising her job, skipping out on her friend's and avoiding her family.

But Lucy's life isn't what it seems.  Some of the choices she's made - and stories she's told - aren't what they seem either.  From the moment she meets the man who introduces himself as her life, her stubborn half-truths are going to be revealed in all their glory - unless she learns to tell the truth about what really matters to her.

Lucy Silchester has an appointment with her life - and she's going to have to keep it.

Review - This book was not on my wishlist but I borrowed it from the library as one of a selection to offer my book group.  Another book was chosen but as I had begun the vetting process I ploughed on with it.  I have read two of Cecelia Ahern's earlier books - PS I Love You - which I enjoyed and The Gift which I found rather strange.  However, I really enjoyed this book, chick lit at its best.  Funny, witty and a new take on a storyline which flowed beautifully and was a joy to read.  The storyline about life was quite interesting as it does provide some food for thought.  Reminding the reader that a lie, however small can escalate out of control.  I liked the interaction between the characters, families, the all too familiar tiptoeing around each other so as not to hurt anyone's feelings but with that build up of familial resentment.  The over bearing parent for whom the child is never good enough.   The friends who take sides but again you cannot be totally honest with for fear of breaking the friendship.  It is all there in this book.  4*

ISBN 978-0-00-735043-8 - Harper Collins 2011

Blog Archive