Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Book Review: Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton

Synopsis - There is a fire and they are in there.  Black smoke stains a summer blue sky.  A school is on fire.  And one mother, Grace, sees the smoke and runs.  She knows her teenage daughter Jenny is inside.  she runs into the burning building to rescue her.


Afterwards, Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her children from the person who's still intent on destroying them.  Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitless of love.

Review - I have not read Sister which is still sitting on my TBR waiting to be picked up.  I borrowed a copy of Afterwards from the library to offer as part of a selection of books from my book group.  I read it beforehand as part of my vetting process, this book was not chosen. I enjoyed this book although it is very sad.  It is well written and the story flows nicely.  I like the concept of being in a kind of limbo and having the ability to 'choose' to survive or die - the idea of one's spirit being able to float in and out of one's body.  In real life we do not have that choice but it makes for an interesting read. 

Grace, the mother, is extremely protective of her children and her relationship with her daughter Jenny is fairly close, although she comes to realise that she doesn't really know Jenny.  I would say this is fairly normal for a relationship with teenage children, to protect them as much as possible without stifling their growth as people.  The father is ambitious and is a public figure on TV whose life is turned upside down by the events that he spends all his time at the hospital with his wife and daughter, forgetting about his young son.  Adam, the boy is being looked after my his maternal Grandmother and needs his father at this very difficult time.  The book does challenge family relationships and friendships.  It makes you think about those you trust and how well you really know people.  The ending could have gone either way but that was okay for me.  I won't spoil it for you - you must make up your own mind.  4*

Blog Archive