Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Book Review: West End Girls - Jenny Colgan

Synopsis - They may be twin sisters, but Lizzie and Penny Berry are complete opposites - Penny is blonde, thin and outrageous; Lizzie is quiet, thoughtful and definitely not thin.  The one trait they do share is a desire to DO something with their lives, and as far as they are concerned the place to get noticed is London.

Out of the blue they discover they have a grandmother living in Chelsea - and when she has to go into hospital, they find themselves flat-sitting on the King's Road.  But, as they discover, it's not as easy to become It Girls as they'd imagined, and West End boys aren't at all like Hugh Grant...

Review -  This book was written in 2006, hence reading it now, it is quite dated.  Would I have liked it any more if I had read it when it was first published?  I'm not sure.  After all the TV shows of late such as: The Only Way is Essex or Made In Chelsea, this book is extremely clichéd.  I have not watched these shows but six years down the line this book is full of the stereotypes and clichés.  As far as chick-lit goes, this is not one of the best, there is not enough humour for me.  It has the typical chick-lit characters, the nice one, the bitchy one and the usual misunderstandings with the blokes until the very end when all becomes clear and love is declared to the right one.  Am I a big fan of chick-lit, not necessarily but I enjoy it if it is well written and has me rolling on the floor with laughter.  Unfortunately, this one didn't. 2*

Blog Archive