Sunday, 11 December 2011

Book Review: Emma - Jane Austen

SynopsisBeautiful, clever, rich - and single - Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protegee Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected. (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts -  I refuse to use the word review as it would be insulting to one of Britain's greatest classic writers.  I am a huge fan of Miss Austen and Emma did not disappoint in any way at all.  Beautifully written with the usual descriptive scene setting that we have come to expect from this author.  I love Emma who is a wonderful character full of charm but with flaws, so human.  The reader wonders how can she be so blind to what is actually going on around her.  It is her sense of goodwill to others that lends her tendency to read situations so incorrectly.  I have seen the BBC production with Romola Garai in the lead role and when reading the book I could only picture Michael Gambon as Mr Woodhouse as his characterisation was so fitting.  I found myself transported to Hartfield and could just imagine such a setting.  I love the way Jane Austen always introduces characters of ridicule and Mrs Elton in particular was insufferable and also, the garrulous aunt of Jane Fairfax, Miss Bates.  5*

Blog Archive