Monday, 3 October 2011

Book Review - Jinn Nation by Caroline Barnard-Smith

Synopsis - Once, the vampire Dylan had feared nothing and no one. He'd rampaged throughout the world on a seemingly never ending quest to fill his eternal years with the finest, most outrageous extravagances; with exquisite, soft-limbed young women and copious amounts of rich, vibrating blood. But life, however full of joy, inevitably changes.

Finding himself alone for the first time in his long unlife, Dylan turns to the preternatural race of savage creatures called the jinn - a path that inevitably leads him to Christa, a strangely childlike woman with the power to control minds and read thoughts. Mutually intrigued by each other, they set out on a blood-soaked road trip that crosses the United States and the Atlantic Ocean, finally leading them beyond the world itself to the mysterious fae kingdoms of the Inbetween.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Review -  My initial reaction was this book is not for me!  As I had won an e-book on a blog giveaway and had been asked for a review, I persevered.  I am glad that I did!  I have read Vampire books (not many) and enjoyed those.  This book is a combination of vampires, cannibals termed Jinn, fairy like creatures and a girl with the ability to see into the minds of others - quite a combination.  Although the gore element was not overdone it was a little excessive for me, the jinn are quite a turnoff!  I also question the overuse of 'language'.  I don't mind the use of 'language' in a book if it is relevant and at times it was in Jinn Nation.  But, I felt it was used a bit gratuitously.  I would presume the author has aimed this book at the YA audience but I would have problems passing this on to my fourteen year old daughter to read. 


The story is divided into three parts and for me it didn't pick up until at least half way through the book.  Once the pace quickened and the storyline came together, I found the book quite enjoyable.  Dylan, the vampire, alone in the world (so he thought) wanted to join others, the jinn.  Once he meets Christa the mindreader, he travels on a journey of adventure.  Although the ending was somewhat predictable, it does leave an opening for the story to continue.  2.5*

Blog Archive