Monday, 12 September 2011

Failure or What? I didn't finish a Book!

Am I a bad reader?  I failed to finish a book!  This is a first for a very, very long time.  The last book I really could not continue was, well goodness me, at least 10 years ago.  I wasn't reading quite so voraciously either!  It was a Tom Sharpe and I just did not get it!  Our sense of humour didn't quite meet, I don't know!

I have been reading regularly for the past 8 years and have been co-running a book group for at least 4 years now.  In that time, I have never given up on a book, until now!  It was unusual for me, as I had seen the televised version of Poppy Shakespeare by Clare Allan with Anna Maxwell Martin as N and Naomi Harris as Poppy Shakespeare and it was very well done.  Alas, the book was something else.  I could not cope with the written dialect.  It is one thing to screen it, which worked but to write it like that!!  I tried very hard, having read several chapters.  I noticed that many of my reading buddies also thought it was awful, or that I was being optimistic in hoping it would improve - I made a decision.

There are a lot of books out there - and many are well worth reading.  So why waste valuable time struggling to read something when I could actually enjoy a book!   Luckily it was a book that was on my wishlist so I don't have a commitment to review it!  Can you imagine?  Fortunately, none of the books I have been obliged to review have fallen into this category.  Yes, some are better than others, but I have not had any this bad yet!
Do I feel guilty?  At first, yes!  I felt I had failed and this was going to be the start of a bad habit, but my reading discipline is generally very good.  No, I don't feel guilty at all!  Why should I?  Would I watch a TV series if I didn't like the first episode?  No!

I would be interested to hear other bloggers thoughts on the perseverence of reading books they find are not for them, particularly if there is no obligation to read for review.      

Blog Archive