Monday, 5 September 2011

Book Review: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

Synopsis - Understanding Exposure has demystified the complex concepts of exposure for hundreds of thousands of photographers.  Bryan Peterson explains the relationship between aperture and shutter speed, and how to achieve successful exposures in seemingly difficult situations.


Now refreshed with new images, a bonus chapter on flash and HDR, and access to exclusive online content, this updated classic will inspire you more than ever to free yourself from "auto" and create the pictures you truly want.

Review - My husband bought me this book after I got my new bridge camera.  I would not be without this 'bible', it is my centre of reference.  I wanted to improve my skills as an amateur photographer and bought the camera for the zoom and many other options but I was a complete beginner.  I have learnt so much from this wonderful guide and my photography has improved a lot.  I am quite happy using manual mode, aperture, shutterspeed, playing with picture size, white balance to name just a few functions.

My daughter also had a new camera for her birthday and although, she is far happy to 'play' with the buttons and experiment, I have been able to pass on knowledge I have learnt through reading Understanding Exposure.  Even if you are a professional photographer, I would say it is well worth reading for reference.  It is written for professionals and amateurs and is very easy to read, understand and put into practice.  Wonderful examples of Bryan's work are shown to back up the narrative.  I have not used the online content but I am sure there will come a time when I will do so.  Highly recommended. 5*

Blog Archive