Sunday, 7 August 2011

Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Synopsis - Elizabeth is in her thirties, settled in a large house with a husband who wants to start a family.  But she doesn't want any of it.  A bitter divorce and a rebound fling later, Elizabeth emerges battered yet determined to find what she's been missing.

So begins her quest.  In Rome, she indulges herself and gains nearly two stone.  In India, she finds enlightenment through scrubbing temple floors.  Finally, in Bali, a toothless medicine man reveals a new path to peace, leaving her ready to love again.

Review - This book has now been made into a major film starring Julia Roberts in the lead role.  I have not seen the film, particularly as I wanted to read the book first.  I am now reading the sequel or following book "Committed".  This book is an autobiography but I suppose it crosses over to fiction purely because most of the characters in the book are fictional (in as much that real names have not been used to protect the individual's identities).


The book is about Elizabeth's travels not only physically but psychologically as she journeys to discover her inner peace and real self.  I really enjoyed this book, I could identify with the search for inner peace.  Elizabeth had been through a traumatic divorce and a rebound love affair which was doomed from the start.  These circumstances would push anyone into severe depression.  I have been more fortunate but that still does not mean there aren't times when women (including me) in their mid/late thirties plus, start to question themselves and look for a deeper meaning in life. 

One may question why she entered into a marriage when such basic requirements as the decision to have children or not, is not agreed at the outset.  That is not easy as people can change their minds as the marriage progresses.  I always wanted children and knew this from a young teen.  When I married my husband he was not keen on the idea at all but a few years into the marriage he decided he did want to be a father and we had three children.  One of my cousins is a dedicated career woman who never wanted children but her husband loves children and did want them.  However, they came to agree on the matter and remained childless but have a very happy marriage.  What is the statistic for divorce rates?  One in three marriages?  This scenario was quite likely in reality.

I do not see this book as belonging in the chick lit genre as it is a personal life story and not specifically loaded with romance.  I would recommend anyone to go along with Ms Gilbert on her journey in this book.  4*

Blog Archive