Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt

Synopsis - Genteel society ladies who compare notes on their husbands' suicides.  A hilariously foul-mouthed black drag queen.  A voodoo priestess who works her roots in the graveyard at midnight.  A morose inventor who owns a bottle of poison powerful enough to kill everyone in town.  A prominent antiques dealer who hangs a Nazi flag from his window to disrupt the shooting of a movie.  And a redneck gigolo whose conquests describe him as a "walking streak of sex".

These are some of the residents of Savannah, Georgia, a city whose eccentric mores are unerringly observed - and whose dirty linen is gleefully aired.

Review - I read the synopsis on the back cover and thought, wow, this looks good.  The book is written in two parts, the first setting the scene and the second getting more into the story.  I felt it took far to long to set the scene and introduce the characters.  I got to the end of part 1 and said "enough is enough".  But I have yet to give up on a book, and I thought how can I review it when I have not even bothered to plough through to the end.  I dutifully picked it up again and ploughed into part two.  Yes, it picked up a little but I was bored and could not wait to reach the end to get it over and done with.  There was not enough humour, despite the description on the cover.  The writing style came across as too factual without 'personality'. 2*

Unfortunately, after reading this I have had to break my reading plan and pick something light and fluffy.  Who needs more murder, even if it is well written - I wasn't going to risk it.

Blog Archive