Saturday, 12 March 2011

I Read Twilight

I read Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.  So what?  Half the population have read Twilight.  Exactly!  So, I am not going to review it per se.  My daughter, a typical teenager has read and re-read the series over and over and also some of my more mature friends.  Twilight is a recommended read.  I don't normally go for YA and would generally avoid horror or bloodsucking and vampire stories.  I haven't even read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or Bram Stoker's Dracula.  Probably because I am at heart a great big wuss!  I got hold of my daughter's copy of Twilight and filed it on my TBR shelf.  My daughter decided that if I was going to read Twilight then now is as good a time as any.  Therefore, as soon as I finished my previous read, she thrust the book into my hand.  I had an open mind and decided to enjoy the moment and enjoy is exactly what I did.  I suppose I could say I was pleasantly surprised because I really was not sure if it would be for me.  I liked the storytelling, the narrative flowed well throughout the book.  I expected Bella to end up as part of the Cullen clan literally but I liked the way the book ended, allowing room for the story to continue.  I have not seen the film so when I visualise the characters I do not see Kristin Stewart  and Robert Pattinson.  My characters are not faceless but they could be anyone and I like to see that in my mind when reading the book rather than a famous face.  Once bitten, smitten and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.  As you may have gleaned from previous blogs I do not read series all in one fell swoop, I like variation so it may be a few weeks or so before I plough into New Moon.  Pure escapism and pure fantasy.  A 4* read for me for that alone.

Blog Archive