Friday, 31 December 2010

Book Review - Restoration by Rose Tremain

Synopsis - Robert Merivel abandons his medical studies for the vibrant court of Charles II, where he finds unexpected favour with the King and serves as a 'paper' groom to the youngest royal mistress.  Merivel falls in love with his wife and violates the one rule that will cast him out.  Driven to work in Quaker bedlam, he endures a more painful fall from grace before he can achieve spiritual and social restoration.
Review -  I was disappointed with this book, particularly as it took me over half way before I begun to like and understand it.  I have read only one other of this author's books and that was also not a favourite.  I had seen the film starring Robert Downey Jnr some years ago, and had forgotten some of the story.  The part where Merivel is in the King's favour and lords it in Bidnold I found boring and tedious.  Once Merivel returned to the King and was sent away and removed from Bidnold I found the story gained meaning and I could see where it was leading.  I felt disappointment at Robert's weakness and vanity with Katherine and was saddened that he could not find it in his heart to love her after he had committed his 'sin'.  He made good in the end but the book's ending was a let down for me. 3*

Blog Archive