Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Whether the Weather

Indeed it is whether the weather! One day rain, muggy, cold and then summer's back - it's definitely feeling more autumnal and summer ain't officially over yet!!
There's a crisis in my house, the main computer said no from yesterday and I am lost without Outlook. Fortunately, we have another computer - hence, here I am typing away at my blog but everything and I mean everything is on that machine. Photos, iTunes, contacts, you name it, fingers crossed OH can work wonders or we find a man or lady who can.
Since I last wrote my son celebrated his 24th birthday hence the cake pics. We had another break to Bury St Edmunds for a weekend staying with my sister in law. We departed from there to Harwich to get a crossing to Hook of Holland. We stayed on a campsite in a "biker's hut" at Uitdam and visited Amsterdam, Enkhuisen and surrounding areas. We left there on Friday driving to Ghent, very pretty and came back the following day via Eurotunnel. We saw Feeder live at Cardiff Big Weekend - a free festival. They were supported by Athlete who weren't bad.
Now onto book reviews:
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters - this was a 5* read. Talk about a man possessed, the main character was so obsessed with the house. It was quite creepy and evil really and very sad because the owners were decent people if a little old fashioned. Well written and I could not put the book down.
Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby - 3*. Another obsessive character but this time harmless. A boring middle aged teacher obsessed with an ageing and reclusive rock star. So obsessed that his girlfriend becomes bored after fifteen years. The twist (if you can call it that) is that she becomes obsessed with this rock star and eventually meets him after he emails her responding to her post on a fansite. A middle of the road read.
Miss Webster and Cherif by Patricia Duncker - 3* again but I enjoyed this one more. A refreshing little story about a retired teacher who is duped by the the son of a friend and his cousin into believing that the cousin is the son (if you get my drift). It tackles racism, religion, illness, loneliness and the small mindedness of village life.
Wolfhall by Hilary Mantel - I feel quite bad at giving this book only 3* but it was too long. It became boring, my interest would have been kept if it was paced a bit quicker. I feel the author was trying to be a bit too clever in weaving facts into fiction. It didn't quite work for me.
Double Jeopardy by Colin Forbes - 3*. Fun, fast and kept me on my toes, why only 3 stars? A light read, holiday read without too much thinking.

I am currently reading The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra.

Blog Archive