Saturday, 28 August 2010

Summer Almost Over

That's it! The nights are starting to draw in and it's definitely getting chillier. The girly has gone to London and I am feeling outnumbered by the darker sex. Not for long as they have planned a walk tomorrow. So what am I to do? I could go to town and shop or clean the house - it's a no brainer really!! The patio is still waiting to be finished, rain stopped play and another job took over which had to be finished. I have more bookshelves - yeah and the cd's have moved into the dining room, which makes it easier to upload to iTunes. What else? Oh yes, the computer bit the dust and on transferring my iTunes library onto the new tower we managed to lose half my library - deja vu!! Hence mega uploading sessions, thank goodness I only have a 30gb ipod.
Onto book reviews:
The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadri - this was a disappointment. Nowhere near as good as The Bookseller of Kabul or the Khaled Hosseini books. I gave it 2*
The Reader by Bernard Schlink, I have yet to see the film with Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. I enjoyed the book and found Hannah to be a rather cold character. I could find it quite believable that she had committed the crimes she was accused of. 4*
Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult - similar to My Sister's Keeper although I found myself disliking the Mother intensely. Sad and heart wrenching, you felt for the disabled Willow but particularly for the elder child and the husband. 4*
The Black Echo by Michael Connelly - a Harry Bosch story and the first I have read from this author. I enjoyed this book, well written and pacy. My son has borrowed it and is also enjoying it. I have another two to read in this series which have been loaned to me. 3*
I am currently reading Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Triggiani

Blog Archive