Monday, 30 August 2010

Lucia, Lucia

I finished this book last night. It was quite refreshing to read about life in 1950. Lucia is the youngest of five children and the only girl. A traditional Italian household where her father owns his own store the 'Groceria' with the help of his four sons. Lucia is a career girl and is lucky enough to work in a job that she loves as a seamstress in a large department store. Her colleagues are all close friends who attended secretarial college with her and Delmarr the boss is a talented designer who appreciates his staff. At home she is expected to help her Mother with looking after the household. I loved the sense of style the story exuded and the warmth of living in a family with so much love and respect. The family has its ups and downs and share of bad luck. I like the beginning and the end, how the story is told by the younger tenant who befriends Lucia and hears the story of her life and who gives closure to Lucia when she meets her former lover for the last time. My first read by Adriana Trigiani, I would consider reading more of her books.

I am currently reading Echo Park by Michael Connelly.

Blog Archive